Sunday, January 3, 2010

About Was it possible to travel from San Francisco to Guadalajara in the heyday of the Southern Pacific Railroad

Was it possible to travel from San Francisco to Guadalajara in the heyday of the Southern Pacific Railroad?
American railroads were taken away by the Mexican government early in the twentieth century. It seems to me that Mexico lost a lot by this. Was efficient rail travel to and within Mexico one example of this loss? Was San Francisco to Guadalajara one non-stop journey available without changing trains or cars? If so, are there any records of travel on this route? How long did it take? Were there Pullman cars? What did the trip cost? Did anybody write about it?
Rail - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You could NEVER make that trip, nonstop or even on the SP. You could change trains to a southbound Mexican RR train but you could NEVER make the trip directly.
2 :
The Southern Pacific obtained trackage into Mexico that was originally built by the Santa Fe in a trade for trackage into Southern California. To my knowledge there was no direct service between San Francisco and Guadalajara. Depending on the year, you would have traveled southward from SF to Los Angeles on SP's Coast and Los Angeles Divisions on a number of trains, including the Coast Daylight, the Owl, the Lark or the Del Monte. In LA you would have changed trains to the Sunset and ridden eastward, with access to SP trackage into Mexico at Nogales, Arizona or El Paso, Texas. I'm not sure if there was a rail head in New Mexico, but I don't believe so. At one time I believe SP had over 1,000 miles of trackage in Mexico but I don't know that passenger service was provided. In 1965 I made the trip as a 12 year old from SF to El Paso with my father. John Signor, who happens to be a friend and co-worker of mine has published a book about the SP in Mexico which is very thorough and will answer all questions you may have. I think I can dig up some more info. I'll get back to you here if I do..............